The apartment is a ghost town. Salt and pepper bags filled with our everyday items, like cooking oil and screenplays, line the countertops and hide in dried-out tubs. We seal up the cat food, throw up our mattresses and wait for the morning fumigators.
Man next to me in Kerchkoff Cafe looks and reeks of hoboland yet has been typing away on a laptop for hours.
Then, he asks me in almost indistinguishable English for my opinion on his work - I begin to read a section of a screenplay and to my surprise, it is impeccably written. Wow, life, you’re amazing.
But then I realize, every time in such instances that we are “surprised’, these surprises are only reflective of the prejudice and mentally ingrained notions that if a person looks in appearance like an A, they must be an A, when they can actually be a B.
Can two people become close friends, despite belonging to different class statuses? For instance, an upper-middle class man and a lower class man? An executive class woman and a lower-middle class woman? Can they be everyday friends?
Is it better to put all of your eggs in one basket (one essay worth 70%) or split your chances (two essays worth 30% and 40%) ?
Before I had put up this status, I had already made my decision: All or nothing. I understand the possible consequences of such an investment in my grade, but frankly I’d like to think I’m a creature of faith.
The point of the status was to see who else is one.